Monday, April 25, 2011

Milk-Braised Goat

You know the show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on the Food Network? Well if I am ever on that show this will be the dish I talk about. Until I made this I had never had goat, but now I am a believer. Goat is like lamb, but the flavor is a little more subtle and it is leaner. I found it for $8/lb from Leistikow Farms at the farmer's market in Boulder, but I am sure any speciality butcher would be able to get some goat shanks.
The goat comes out so incredibly tender that you can use a butter knife, which is good since I don't currently have any steak knives. It leaves the bone completely clean as well. I served it with a red wine and cranberry sauce, which my friend, thankfully, helped me with after a few previous attempts. The sauce added a nice fruitiness to a dish that could have been a bit rich otherwise. After throughly cleaning our plates, my friends and I discovered that the cooking liquid left behind in the pot was one of the best things we had ever had. We started "accidentally" dropping whole pieces of bread in it just to soak up all that deliciousness. Next time I make this I will probably strain the cooking liquid and use it in a sauce or use it instead of butter and cream in some mashed potatoes. I almost don't want to share this recipe since it is so incredibly easy while still being totally impressive, but I will. I should say that I got the idea from this recipe for goat ragu, which I am sure is awesome as well.

Milk-Braised Goat

Servings: 4

Prep Time: 5 mins
Active Cook Time: 15 mins
Inactive Cook Time: 2 hrs
Total Time: 2hrs 20 mins

Ingredients
2.5-3 lbs goat shank, bone in
5 T olive oil
5 sprigs of rosemary, leaves removed
1/2 tsp cinnamon
5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 cups whole milk
2 bay leaves
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 300F. Heat enameled cast iron pot on medium-high heat. Add olive oil. Generously sprinkle goat shanks with salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, add the goat shanks and brown on each side, should take about 10 mins total. Add the garlic when the last side is searing, so that it browns, but does not burn.
Heat the milk in the microwave until warm. Once the goat and garlic are browned, add the milk and spices. Bring to a boil then cover with lid (if the lid does not seal the pot very well, cover with aluminum foil too). Place in the oven and cook for 2 hours. Every 20 mins, turn the pieces of goat so that all the sides get to cook in the liquid.

No comments:

Post a Comment