Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Jerk Pork

After making this marinade and spreading it all over my pork my hands burned for at least a day and I still cannot put my contacts in. Lesson: wear gloves when working with habanero peppers! I used 3 habanero peppers and marinated the pork for about 30 hours. I was worried it would come out too spicy, but it wasn't. In fact, the flavor was pretty mild for what I consider jerk seasoning. Next time I will probably cut up the pork into chunks and marinate and cook it that way. Doing the whole roast was fun because I got to use my new tools from Bed Bath and Beyond: oven rubber bands and a meat thermometer.
Jerk Pork


Servings: 4

Prep Time: 15 mins
Active Cook Time: 15 mins
Inactive Cook Time: 3-48 hours

Ingredients
2 bunches of green onions, chopped
2 T white vinegar
1 T soy sauce
1 T oil
2 tsp salt
2 tsp thyme
2 tsp brown sugar
5 cloves of garlic peeled
2 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 to 4 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped**
1 T brandy or rum
juice of one lime
1.5 lb pork loin, trimmed

Directions
Blend first 15 ingredients together in a food processor.
Cut pork in half length-wise without going through to the other side. Rub the mixture all over the inside and outside of the pork. Let the pork marinate for 3-48 hours.
Heat oven to 350F and heat a pan on high heat. Tie up the roast (if you are doing it whole) and sear on all sides. Place in a pan and into the oven. Cook until it is ~160F in the middle. Let the meat rest for at least 15 minutes before slicing it.

**Please use gloves when dealing with peppers this hot. I mistakenly did not and my hands burned for several hour afterwards, luckily I did not touch my face. Keep the glove on when rubbing the mixture on the pork as well.

Serving Suggestion
Serve with coconut scented rice, spicy black beans and mango salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment