Saturday, April 23, 2011

Argula Pesto

This is not what I think of when I think of pesto. Both my mom and dad grow basil and make huge batches of pesto every summer. There is always a debate over whose pesto is the best, but they are both awesome. Since I don't grow basil, due to weather and space, I thought I would make an argula pesto. The flavor is not as pungent as basil, but it is garlicky and peppery. I have served this over a white fish and eggs with toast, but it would also be great on a sandwich, crostini, pasta or mixed into hummus. I made a pizza and used it instead of tomato sauce and it was pretty good.
Argula Pesto

Time: 10 mins

Ingredients
2.5 oz argula
2 oz parmesan
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
about 4 T olive oil
salt, to taste

Directions
Using a food processor, blend parmesan, walnuts and garlic until they are very finely chopped. Add 1/3 of the argula and start blending, add oil as need. Add the rest of the argula in batches and scrape down the sides so that it is gets throughly combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment