Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Smokey Sausage and Sweet Potatoes

I had a leftover sweet potato and I found some delicious looking chicken andouille sausage, so I decided to make a smokey potato and sausage dish. I top it with spinach to add some more veggies. Roasting sweet potatoes with onions is one of the best ways to eat them, in my opinion, since they get caramelized and sweet. The sausage adds more smokiness and a nice kick. I originally thought there was too much spinach because I did not throughly wilt it, but after having the leftovers for lunch today I say: bring on the spinach! I generally don't like the texture of cooked spinach, but in this dish I didn't even notice it. I would recommend throughly wilting the spinach. If you are serving all of this right out of the oven, throw the spinach on the pan and stick in the oven for another few minutes. If you are planning on eating leftovers of this then I would add fresh spinach right before you microwave it, which is what I did for lunch and it was great!


Smokey Sausage and Sweet Potatoes
Servings: 4

Prep Time: 5 mins
Cook Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 40 mins

Ingredients
1 large sweet potato
1/2 yellow onion
2 T olive oil
1/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/8 tsp garam masala
1/4 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper
4 chicken andouille sausages, cooked
4-6 oz fresh spinach

Directions
Preheat oven to 400F and wash sweet potato. Cut sweet potato and onion in uniform chucks. In a bowl toss sweet potato and onions with olive oil and spices. Spread on baking sheet and place in oven. Bake for about 20 minutes, flipping the potatoes half way through cooking. When potatoes are almost done, add sausage and cook for another 15 minutes or until the sausage is heated through and lightly browned. Remove from the oven and toss with spinach then stick back in the oven for a few minutes so the spinach gets slightly wilted.

No comments:

Post a Comment