Sunday, May 1, 2011

Granola Bars

I made granola awhile back and was saving it in the freezer since I was not eating it fast enough. I decided to make granola bars with it since I normally eat the granola with yogurt and strawberries, but I'm kind of burnt out on yogurt and the strawberries aren't great yet. I got a "trail mix" bar at the store the other day and the only ingredients were fruit, nuts, oats and honey, so I decided to try making my own with all that granola I had sitting around.
Growing up, my mom always had a specific type of honey that was semi-solid at room temperature, so I thought that would work really well in these. I debated using agave, but it is so fluid at room temperature that I thought the bars may not hold together very well. I grabbed the last tub of Sue Bee Clover Spun Honey and it is just the consistency I remember. In my opinion, horrible for trying to spread on bread for a peanut butter and honey sandwich, but great for these granola bars. You can use any nuts or dried fruit you want in this; I used peanuts, walnuts and cranberries since that is what I had. I added a little sprinkle of salt on the top to contrast the sweetness of the honey and I think they turned out great. These are not going to hold together as well as the ones you get at the store, but they also don't have chemicals and you get to customize the flavor. I will be trying other methods for making them hold together a little better, adding something else and baking them comes to mind.
Granola Bars: Attempt #1

Servings: 8-12 bars

Active Time: 15 mins
Inactive Time: 30 mins

Ingredients
2.5 cups homemade granola
1/3 cup flax seeds
2/3 nuts, chopped
2/3 cup dried fruit, chopped
1/3-1/2 cup honey*
cooking spray
sprinkle of salt

Directions
Line a 9x9 pan with foil or use a glass pan. Spray with cooking spray. Heat honey up for about 30 seconds in the microwave or until it is liquified. Mix honey with granola, nuts, flax seed and fruit. Do this quickly and get it into the pan. Spread evenly in pan and place in the fridge to set for about 30 mins or until they are set. Remove the bars from the pan and cut. Individually wrap in foil or plastic wrap and store in the fridge or freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment