Tuesday, March 29, 2011

(Not Quite) Love Pizza

As an undergrad, my friends and I would get together every Thursday night for "Love Pizza" and wine. The idea behind Love Pizza is that everyone brings a topping to share the love. We figured out that the best toppings were all the veggies possible, some good cheese and after it comes out of the oven top it with goat cheese, avocado and fresh basil. Since I had half of an avocado, a little goat cheese and some marinara sauce in the fridge I decided to make a faux Love Pizza. I used a brown rice tortilla and some other things I had lying around. It turned out pretty well, but not as good as having all my friends around!
Love Pizza
This is a great meal to share with friends. Get or make some pizza dough (I love TJ's herb and garlic one) and ask your friends to bring their favorite 2 toppings and some wine; the more interesting the toppings the better!

Servings: as many friends as you want to invite

Prep Time: 30 mins
Active Cook Time: None
Total Time: 1 hour

Ingredients (some of my favorites)
garlic and herb pizza dough
tomato sauce
pesto
broccoli (yes broccoli, it is awesome!)
bell peppers
onion*
garlic*
artichoke hearts
olives
squash
spinach
mushrooms
fresh mozzarella
gruyere cheese
parmesan cheese
goat cheese
avocado
fresh basil
garlic salt and pepper

Directions
Make sure dough is at room temperature and roll/stretch it out. Top the dough with sauce, cheese and at least 5 toppings (preferably more). Bake until crisp on the bottom and cheese is bubbling on the top. Once out of the oven add goat cheese, avocado and basil. Enjoy with your favorite wine or beer.
*Don't worry about cooking any of the veggies before they go on the pizza, they will all get cooked and meld together into a semi-healthy, gooey, delicious mess.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Alicia! So TJ's pizza crust would be awesome. Except they don't have them around these parts. Or in Texas either. It is quite sad, actually. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I know :( They have pizza dough at Whole Foods and Sunflower Market, but it lacks the herbs and garlic unfortunately.
    (I'm planning on going to the CSR thing on Saturday so maybe I will see you there.)

    ReplyDelete