Thursday, June 23, 2011

Apareil a Quiche (Quiche Custard)

Maybe I was delusional, but I thought that quiche was mostly egg... turns out there is a lot of milk or cream in there too. We made some great quiches this week. The one I made with my partner had onions, garlic, red bell pepper, broccoli, chard, arugula, goat cheese and smoked gouda and it was awesome. I am planning on making these for my family when I go home for a few days in July. Here is the crust.

Apareil a Quiche

Yield: 1-9" quiche (though we had a bit leftover because of all the other goodies we put in there)

Ingredients
1 cup milk, half & half or cream
3 eggs, lightly beaten
salt and pepper, to taste
pinch of nutmeg (optional)
1.5 cups prepared filling - cooked vegetables/meat, grated cheese, etc.
1 pie shell, blind baked until done, but edges not overly browned

Directions
Combine milk, seasonings and eggs in a bowl. Mix thoroughly. Place cooked fillings in the pie shell and pour milk mixture over the filling. Make sure to leave at least 1/4" of shell showing. Bake at 375F until custard is set, but not overcooked. You can tell this by tapping the pan, it should look just solid, around 45 mins depending on the thickness. Let sit at least 15 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment